Pittston Township government exists for the purpose of providing services and public facilities to the people who live within the Township. All Township activities are governed by the Pennsylvania Second Class Township Code which was enacted and amended in 1995. Section 607 of the code outlines the duties of the Board of Supervisors. It states they shall:
- Be charged with the general governance of the township and the execution of legislative, executive and administrative powers in order to ensure sound fiscal management and to secure the health, safety and welfare of the citizens of the township.
- Have the responsibility for maintenance of township-owned equipment and facilities.
- Employ persons as may be necessary for the general conduct of the business of the township and provide for the compensation, organization and supervision of the persons so employed. Records shall be kept and reports made and filed giving the names of all persons employed, dates on which work was done and the number of hours worked with compensation paid to each person and the capacity in which employed.
- Authorize attendance at conferences, institutes, schools and conventions. Any supervisor, elected or appointed officer or township employee may if directed by the board of supervisors attend any conference, institute, school or convention dealing with the duties and functions of elected or appointed officers or employees. The expenses for attending the meetings may be paid by the township and are limited to the registration fee, mileage for the use of a personal vehicle or reimbursement of actual transportation expense going to and returning from the meeting plus all other actual expenses that the board of supervisors agrees to pay. Every attendee shall submit to the board of supervisors an itemized account of expenses incurred at the meeting. The board of supervisors may authorize employees to be compensated at their regular employee rate, and auditors to be compensated at the rate of ten dollars ($10) for each hour up to a maximum of five hours per day, during their attendance at the meeting.
- Annually, on or before the first day of February, furnish to the board of auditors information on the construction or maintenance of roads or other matters that may be required by any department of the Commonwealth to be included in the annual township report.
- Provide for the annual tax duplicate to be prepared and presented to the tax collector.
- Perform duties and exercise powers as may be imposed or conferred by law or the rules and regulations of any agency of the Commonwealth.
Should a vacancy exist in the office of Supervisor the Township has appointed JOSEPH SALVO as chairman of the VACANCY BOARD
The Township’s governing body consists of three supervisors elected to office by their fellow citizens.
David Slezak, Vice Chairman/Treasurer
Steven Rinaldi, Chairman
REGULARLY SCHEDULED MONTHLY MEETINGS
A reorganization meeting of Pittston Township will be held on January 2, 2018 at the Township Municipal Building at 7:00 PM.
The monthly regularly scheduled meeting dates for 2017 are scheduled for the Third Monday of each month at the Township Municipal Building, 421 Broad Street, Pittston Township, Pa at 7:00 PM unless that day is a holiday in which case the meeting will take place on the next day at 7:00 PM.
|John A. Bonita, CPA|